In December 1908 after much lobbying of the Marist Brothers by Fr O’Driscoll to open a boys school in the Parish, construction of the school and monastery began. A foundation stone at the front of the Gonzaga building records that Marist College Kogarah was officially opened by Cardinal Moran. On Monday 8 February 1909 the primary school opened its doors to 100 students. Marist education had begun in Kogarah.
The school met a need in the area, and over the next ten years there was a steady growth in enrolments. The school enjoyed success in a number of State Bursary Competitions, which was of real importance to a new school trying to establish itself. An integral part of the College was, and remains, the crest and the motto, “Finis Coronat Opus – the end crowns the work”.
Monsignor O’Driscoll - Founder of the College
By the mid-1930s Principal Br Aiden O’Keefe added a further four classrooms to accommodate the school population, which was now over 250 boys. In 1937 the Parents and Friends Association, which continues to be an active part of the College community, was formed. In 1940 a Sports House system was devised, and a formal school uniform was introduced.
Marist Brothers Kogarah (as it was then known) continued to expand and, by the time the school celebrated its Golden Jubilee, it had grown from 100 students to over 1,000. By this time Marist Brothers Kogarah had gained a reputation for academic, cultural and sporting excellence.
In December 1993 the Marist Brothers announced their withdrawal from the administration of the school; after this time there would be no teaching Brothers at Kogarah.
Photo of the entire Marist Brothers' School, Kogarah. Taken in 1928 for celebration of Br. Pius' Golden Jubilee
In 2009 Marist College Kogarah celebrated its Centenary and proudly remains the strong educational institution that was established all those years ago. The College is committed to developing strong partnerships with all stakeholders to support our students in becoming:
Confident and creative individuals;
Active and informed citizens.
Room 16 in 2017 and Room 16 in 1954